There will be no homework assigned in band – only practising!
I understand that our students are busy, and I try to set realistic expectations for home practice. I expect students to play their instrument at home for 10-15 minutes, 3 times per week. Practice is necessary for students to develop their skills and build strong technique. If your living arrangements prevent your child from playing his/her instrument at home, please have your child speak with me to discuss their options.
Some practice tips:
- Set a regular practice schedule. It’s easier to practice at the same time every day.
- Set up a quiet space with a chair that makes you sit with good posture (a couch is a not a good practice seat!)
- Don’t get frustrated when you make mistakes – that’s why you’re practising!
- Try not to only play what you know. Work on the parts of the music that are difficult for you
- If you’re finding a section difficult, break it down into smaller chunks, then slowly put it all together
- Slow it down. Practice difficult passages at a slower tempo and gradually build up speed